Travel Shovel

Monday, November 06, 2006

All you can do is step back in time

Sorry, didn't mean to quote Kylie Minogue there...ahem.

I was once the subject of many jibes for owning an antique phone (VL!!), the phone in question was an Ericsson T39, well I would be the height of fashion here. Sadly the phone gave up the ghost long ago otherwise I would ship it over and impress people with my modern technolgy. I am currently using a phone that was popular in the UK about 4 years ago (Sony Ericsson z520a if you're interested), I got it new here on a 3 year contract (don't ask, it was the cheaper option). So it's 4 years old and I have to keep it for 3 years....I wonder if anyone does, or whether it lasts that long.

Not only are the phones a little dated, but so are the pricing plans - I have to pay to receive calls...yes you call me and we both pay-crazy no? I knew this before I came, but what the h3ll, i'd not blogged anything for a while.

Other things I pay monthly for...

Voicemail
Caller ID
911 fee....yes in order for me to call 911 i must pay a monthly fee of 6 dollars.

While I'm on the subject...banks! What's going on there...I believe the deal is...

1. I give them my money
2. They earn interest on my money (i don't)
3. I pay them $4 a month to look after my money
4. If i want access to my money more than 15 times a month I pay an extra $.50 if i do it myself via an ATM or $1.50 if I interact with a human.

Personally I advocate The Royal Bank of Mattress

2 Comments:

At 6:59 AM, Blogger Craig Aaen Stockdale said...

Gah! Don't get me started on the thick-as-pigsh*t, Stone Age banking system they have here in Canada! The infuriating thing is that banks in the UK want to return to this kind of customer-pays-for-everything-while-bank-rakes-in-profit system! In the UK, if i want to pay my rent to my landlord I go online and set up a standing order to his account every month and then FORGET ABOUT IT. In Canada, I have to mail (post) 12 post-dated cheques (cheques for Christ's sake!) to his bank manager, who then pays them in one by one as they are needed. Um... WHAT THE F*CK!? If I use another bank's ATM i get charged by that bank AND MY OWN!!! At times it feels like we're living in Cuba. Its bloody ludicrous! Love and kisses, Craig

 
At 4:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, all this really sux. You ar doind a fine job for the Canadian Tourist Board! Maybe I'll abandon my goal of moving to Toronto.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home